TreeKeepers trains volunteers in proper care and maintenance of trees. TreeKeepers will assist staff with City of Columbia tree care projects. All projects are scheduled on Saturday mornings. Training includes the following subjects:
TreeKeepers Classes will cover the following topics:
- Tree Identification, presented by Eric Schmittel
- Emerald Ash Borer presented by Steve Fritz
- Tree Planting presented by Bess Frissell-Durley & David Kerley
- Tree Pruning presented by Dave Dittmer
*The presentations listed above are from March 2020.
Not only will you gain book knowledge, but you also will receive field training and experience to reinforce what you have learned. After completion of the course, you will be provided with opportunities to put your new knowledge into action in very visible ways, making a difference in your city. Complete an online application to become a TreeKeepers volunteer.
2020 Volunteer TreeKeepers Service Projects
Arbor Day Tree Wrap-Friday, May 22 from 1:00-3:00 p.m. at Parks Management Center-1507 Business Loop 70 W.
Arbor Day Tree Giveaway-Saturday, May 23 from 8:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. at Columbia Farmer’s Market-1769 W Ash St.
- Complete the TreeKeepers course.
- Agree to assist the City in organized tree care projects when available. Projects take place on Saturday mornings. Projects include a variety of activities including planting, pruning, mulching, invasives removal & general maintenance under supervision of the Forester.
- Use standard hand tools and equipment to plant, prune, remove, water fertilize, and mulch trees.
- Perform manual labor, including bending, stooping, digging, reaching, and lifting.
- Work cooperatively with City staff, volunteers, and general public.
- Work outdoors, often during varied weather conditions (heat, cold, rain, etc.)
Do you have an interest and experience in arboriculture, urban forest management, tree care, horticulture, botany, ecology, environmental education, environmental policy, landscape architecture, or related fields? Consider applying your knowledge and experience by joining the Tree Board. The Tree Board meets every 3rd Wednesday of the month at 5p.m. in City Hall-701 E. Broadway.
How can I participate?
Email us or call 874-7499.