Become a Volunteer
- Get involved in your community
- Improve the Earth
- Meet new people
- Develop new skills and interests
- Work flexible hours
- Training provided
- Help children learn to recycle with recycling games and projects
- Encourage others to reduce, reuse, and recycle
Volunteer at Festivals and Events
There are many events/festivals where volunteers attend to spread the word about waste reduction and recycling. If you are interested in volunteering at any of these events, please contact us:
- America Recycles Day
- Compost Awareness Week
- Earth Day Festival
- Unity Day (Columbia Housing Authority)
- Cherry Hill Art Festival
- Family Fun Festival
- Mature Living Festival
- Sustainable Living Fair
Earth Day Festival
The Public Works Volunteer Program participates in the Earth Day Festival held in April at Peace Park in Columbia, Missouri. Volunteer to help make this popular event happen and then pat yourself on the back for doing your part. Volunteers help with recycling activities and promotional displays.
Monitor Drop Off Recycling Areas
The City of Columbia provides convenient drop off locations for citizens to recycle materials. Volunteers are needed to help monitor these sites.
Many of the volunteer opportunities with the City’s recycling program can fit into family time. Families volunteering together can do great things! If you wish to have quality time together and instill the spirit of service, try:
- cleaning up litter
- becoming recycling goodwill ambassadors
- capturing household hazardous waste
- assisting at information and activity tables at community events
- encouraging apartment recycling
- distributing information to your neighbors
Household Hazardous Waste Collection Aide
Hazardous materials should never go in our landfill! You can help see that they are “captured” at the City’s household hazardous waste collection days. Volunteers work two hour shifts and greet citizens, distribute information, answer questions and keep the traffic flowing. To join the team, contact us!
Become a goodwill ambassador for recycling. Help people unload their recyclables at the City’s drop-off recycling locations and give them tips on how to recycle correctly and why it is so important. Make people happy by praising their recycling efforts and giving them a pen or pencil made from recycled material.
Youth In Action
Youth In Action is a summer volunteer program for kids ages 12-16. Participants get to select projects and volunteer for activities that appeal to them from a wide variety of possibilities. Several of the projects involve working with the City’s Recycling Program during the summer months. Projects in the past have included:
- playing the blue bag recycling game at Lunch in the Park
- weeding at the compost demonstration site
- distributing recycling information at apartments
- distributing recycling information at Twilight Festivals filling bags with compost to help market City compost
Mr. Bag-It Recycling Mascot
Bring smiles to faces all over town when you volunteer to climb inside the Mr. Bag-It costume. Mr. Bag-It is needed for school visits, appearances at festivals, and other events to promote recycling. It’s fun! You will get tons of hugs and your picture in lots of photo albums.
Questions? Contact Us at 573-874-6271.