Join the City to beautify its streets with an Adopt-A-Spot Beautification partnership! Your family, business, faith community or civic organization can partner with the City to plant and maintain landscaping areas. The city has identified beds available for adoption… some are existing beds that need a new adopter and others are new beds created from road construction.
As a city-wide initiative, we are working towards all native plantings in our Adopt-a-Spot locations. As of July 1st, all new Adopt-a-Spot locations will be able to choose from a list of native plants to use in their bed. To learn more about native plants, take a look at this resource from the Missouri Department of Conservation.
For new adopters or those interested in adopting a bed:
- Why Use Native Plants?
- Suggested Native Plants for Adopt-A-Spots
- Top Ten Native Plants List
- Native Plants Suppliers
- New Adopter Orientation
- Tell us about an Adopt-A-Spot bed that you enjoy – we’ll pass your good words on to the volunteer!
- Existing spots available for adoption now
- Adopt-A-Spot partners – View a list of the city’s more than 90 individuals and groups who volunteer in the program.
- Tip Sheet for Existing and New Adopters and those interested in learning more about the program
- Master Gardeners presentation from the January 29 Adopt-A-Spot volunteer meeting
- A Gardener’s Guide for Missouri-Landscaping with Native Plants
- Maintenance Guide from Grow Native!
If you are interested in a landscaping project in the public right-of-way, in front of a business, or as part of a development project that will be a permanent structure within the public right-of-way, please contact Building and Site Development at 573.874.7474, to obtain a right of use permit.
The Adopt-A-Spot Beautification Program is designed for volunteers to care for landscaping in city projects that are part of our capital improvements, especially the construction or improvement of streets. We invite you to take a look at the beds available to adopt. You will find an application on our web page, too! To learn more, contact us at 874-7499 or Volunteer@CoMo.gov.
For information about adopting a spot for litter control, please visit the Public Works Volunteer Web Page.