Litter Team Cleanups
Volunteers are instrumental to keeping Columbia’s streets, parks and streams clean. Litter Team events are scheduled monthly. A volunteer or staff leader provides gloves, bags, safety vests and direction. Self schedule , or email Jody Cookcreate new email or call 573-874-6271 for more information. Drop ins are welcome!
Measures are in place to keep volunteers safe. Masks are required for supply distribution and return.
|June 12||9:00a.m.-11:00a.m.||Check in- 100 E. Forest, Downtown Optimist Park|
|July 10||9:00a.m.-11:00a.m.||Check in- 3200 Creasey Springs Rd|
|Aug. 14||9:00a.m.-11:00a.m||Check in- 803 Gray Oak, Senior Marketing Specialist|
Litter Event Leadersopens PDF file help us engage other volunteers in caring for our environment! Tasks include bringing supplies (provided by the City), checking in volunteers, providing basic instructions, and helping them have a great cleanup!
Group Specific Litter Events
If you are interested in arranging a litter event specific to your group, we are happy to assign a location and provide all needed supplies. For more information email Jody Cookcreate new email or call 573-874-6271.
Household Hazardous Waste Collection-
Runs the 1st and 3rd Saturdays of the month through November. Volunteers assisted with Paint Consolidation and Traffic and Direction. Shifts are available 8a.m.-10a.m, 10a.m.-12p.m. and 10a.m. -1p.m. Paint consolidation entails opening cans of water based paint, stirring to determine if it’s good or not, and pouring into 5 gallon buckets. It is a touch messy, but people really enjoy it. Gloves, aprons and shoe covers are provided. Those working traffic, greet cars and direct to the proper lane. An amazing team of volunteers helps with the collections. Please let us know if you would like to join us. Self schedule , or email Jody Cookcreate new email or call 573-874-6271 for more information.
Columbia/Boone County Department of Public Health & Human Services
Ongoing Parks and Recreation Volunteer Opportunities Available!
- NEW! We are looking for Piano Instructors! opens PDF file
- Lil’ Lady Bulldogs Dance and Cheer Instructorsopens PDF file wanted!
- Douglass Youth Baseball League Coaches, Umpires & Board Membersopens PDF file wanted!
- We are looking for Guitar Instructors!opens PDF file
- We are looking for a Watercolor Painting Instructoropens PDF file !
- We are looking for Dance Instructorsopens PDF file !
- We are looking for Art Teachers!
- We are looking for a Scrapbooking/Card Makingopens PDF file Instructor!
- Do you have a talent, skill or passion that you would love to share with other Columbians? There are opportunities with our existing programs. But it is very possible that a program can be built around your abilities, and for the population in which you would like to serve. Click here to learn more!
For any of these volunteer instructor opportunities please contact Mary Deweycreate new email or call 573-817-5077 for more information.
Student/Internship/Service Learning projects: We have a variety of semester (or longer!) projects ideal for students including sidewalk snow removal and recycling education. Contact us to learn more!create new email
Neighborhood Watch Board of Directors
Columbia Neighborhood Watch has openings on the volunteer Board of Directors and is looking for community minded individuals that would like to serve. The MISSION of Columbia Neighborhood Watch is to inform, train and encourage residents to work together to establish neighborhood watch programs with the goal of reducing crime. It promotes community involvement in fighting crime by connecting people, information and ideas through our website, annual events and training sessions. If you are interested in being considered for the Board please email email@example.com new email.