The Information Center, formally known as the Records Unit, is comprised of civilian employees, including the Information Center Supervisor Kerri Seversen and Records Custodian Lydia Green.
The Information Center handles all public records requests (“Sunshine Requests”) for police and accident reports, body worn camera footage, and all general records inquiries.
The City of Columbia provides our citizens a convenient method to submit records requests, track the request, and receive the requested records (when available electronically) through our Public Records Web Portal.
After you submit your records request, you will receive an email confirming your request has been received. On the next business day, you will receive an acknowledgement email from the records custodian assigned to provide records responsive to your request. While the request is processed, additional communications will take place and at each step you will receive a notification and can track and receive your records via the portal.
It is the City of Columbia’s policy to collect costs, as allowed by law, when fulfilling public records requests. Should there be a cost to fulfill your records request, you will be notified and provided instructions on how to make the payment.
- In person – You may hand deliver your request to the Information Center on the second floor of the Columbia Police Department, 17 N. 7th Street, Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- By mail – Mailed requests should be addressed to Records Custodian, 600 E. Walnut Street, Columbia, MO 65201.
- By phone – For general questions about obtaining copies of police and accident reports contact Information Center Supervisor Kerri Seversen at (573) 874-7418.
When making your request be as specific as you can about what records you are seeking. Remember to provide a phone number and email address you can be contacted at in the event there are clarifications needed.
If at anytime you have a question on how to submit a public records request, please reach out to the Information Center at (573) 874-7416.
- Obtain a CPD accident report online here.
- Download an open Records Request form here (only needed if you are not using the Public Records Portal).