Police Chief Geoff Jones appointed the Vehicle Stop Committee on April 23, 2019. The committee addresses disparities in Columbia’s vehicle stop rates by:
- Examining existing data.
- Identifying variables affecting an officer’s decision to stop a vehicle.
- Finding solutions, methods or processes to fill data gaps.
- Setting a timeline for research.
- Identifying policing training/best practices that should be examined for changes.
- Reaching consensus on recommendations proposed to Chief Jones.
The full Committee meets the second Tuesday of each month, from 5:30 to 7 p.m., in the Mezzanine Conference Room, City Hall, 701 E. Broadway. Meetings are free and open to the public.
- Timelineopens PDF file
- Chief’s Chargeopens PDF file
- Committee Procedure Checklistopens PDF file
- Subcommittee Procedure Checklistopens WORD file
- Meeting Schedule & Attendance Policyopens WORD file
Laws, Rules and Policies
- RSMo Section 590.650 — Missouri law relating to vehicle stop reporting.
- Code of State Regulations opens PDF file — Reporting of Motor Vehicle Stops by Law Enforcement Agencies (Eff. Dec. 30, 2019)
- Missouri Attorney General’s 2020 Vehicle Stops Report Changes Summaryopens PDF file
- State of Missouri v. Derek L. Johnson — Pedestrian Stopopens PDF file
- Missouri Attorney General’s 2019 Vehicle Stop Report
- CPD 2019 Vehicle Stop Dataopens PDF file
- Love – Comments on 2019 CPD Dataopens PDF file
- Missouri Attorney General’s 2018 Vehicle Stop Report
- CPD 2018 Vehicle Stop Data opens PDF file
- An Introduction to Columbia Police Department Traffic Stop Data – Loveopens WORD file
- CPD Memo & 2018 Dataopens PDF file
- DWB in COMO – Milyoopens PDF file
- Warne-Griggs – Contextualizing Vehicle Stopsopens PDF file