- A stable, more satisfied tenant base.
- Increased demand for rental units with a reputation for active management.
- Lower maintenance and repair costs.
- Increased property values.
- Improved personal safety for tenants, landlords, and managers.
Costs of Drug Activity in Rental Property
When drug criminals and other destructive tenants operate out of rental property, neighborhoods suffer and landlords pay a high price. That price may include:
- Decline in property values — particularly when the activity begins affecting the reputation of the neighborhood.
- Property damage arising from abuse, retaliation, neglect, or from police raids.
- Fire resulting from manufacturing or growing operations.
- Civil penalties, including temporary closure of the property — or even property seizure.
- Loss of rent during eviction and repair periods.
- Fear and frustration when dealing with dangerous and threatening tenants.
- Increased resentment and anger between neighbors and property managers.
- The loss of other valued tenants.
The Crime Free Multi-Housing Program Will Teach You
I. Prevention and Applicant Screening
- How code compliance (preparing the property) can protect your rights as a landlord.
- Benefits of applicant screening.
- Tips to strengthen rental agreements.
- How to become a proactive property manager.
- Maintaining a fire safe environment.
- Development of life safety awareness.
II. Drug Nuisance Abatement
- Warning signs of drug activity.
- Actions you must take if you discover your tenant or tenant’s guests are conducting illegal activities at your property.
- Role of the police.
- Crisis resolution and the eviction process.
III. Resource Materials
- A 170-page manual with additional community resources for tenants, landlords, and property managers.
- A manual addressing fire and life safety awareness for tenants, landlords, and property managers.
- Many other FREE materials will be available at class time.
- One of the tools of the Crime Free Multi-Housing Program is the Crime Free Lease Addendum.
List of Fully Certified Properties
- Aria Luxury Apartments, 4500 Kentsfield Lane, Columbia, MO 65201 – (573) 815-7300
- Midtown by Brookside, East Walnut Street, Columbia, MO 65201 – (573) 815-7457
- Brookside Downtown, 120 South Tenth Street, Columbia, MO 65201 – (573) 815-7458
- Townhomes by Brookside, 400 West Old Plank Road, Columbia, MO 65203 – (573) 815-7455
- Brookside Downtown on Elm, 825 Elm Street, Columbia, MO 65201 – (573) 815-7456
- Deerfield Apartments, 1516 Sylvan Lane #1, Columbia, MO 65202 – (573) 886-8638
- Columbia Crossing Apartments, 2206 Whitegate Drive, Columbia, MO 65202 – (573) 614-7033
Upcoming Training Dates
- Tuesday, October 22, 2019, at the CPD Regional Training Center, from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., at 5001 E. Meyer Industrial Drive.
For Further Information Contact
Officer Jason McClintic
Office: (573) 874-7426
Search for Recent Arrests
- Columbia Police Department
- Boone County Sheriffs Department – Click on 07:00 Report
- Missouri State Highway Patrol
Some Helpful Links
- HUD – Federal Fair Housing information
- Landlord/Tenant Rights and Responsibilities by Missouri Attorney General and Missouri Bar Association
- Legal issues related to rental properties evictions, leases, security deposits, etc. Information provided by Scott Law Firm, a proud supporter of Crime Free Programs.
- Mid America Crime Free Inc. – A 501(c)3 to assist cities in MO, KS, IA, and NE in improving the quality of life in the housing/lodging/ storage industries.
- International Crime Free Association – More tips on Crime Free Multi Housing
- Conducting Background Checks – Accudata Credit Systems, a mid-Missouri company providing nationwide criminal and credit background checks and dedicated to Crime Free Programs.
- Boone County Missouri Sex Offender Registry – A list of registered sex offenders residing in Boone County, Missouri.
- Emergency Planning – Preparing for any emergency situation. Information prepared by U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
Helpful Information Regarding Nuisance Parties
- Having A Party
- Nuisance Party Notification For Landlords
- Nuisance Party Notification For Tenants
- Chronic Nuisance Property Notification for Property Owners