Chief Geoff Jones is the current head of the Columbia Police Department. Administration consists of the following:
- Chief of Police
- Internal Affairs
- Accreditation Manager
- Legal Advisor
- Assistant to Chief
- Investigative Operations Support Bureau
- Operations Bureau
- Support Services Bureau
- Special Services Bureau
- Public Information Office
Records Custodian Lydia Green. The Information Center handles all public records requests (“Sunshine Requests”) for police and accident reports, body-worn camera footage, and all general records inquiries.
The City of Columbia provides our citizens with a convenient method to submit records requests, track the request, and receive the requested records (when available electronically) through our Public Records Web Portal.
After you submit your records request, you will receive an email confirming your request has been received. On the next business day, you will receive an acknowledgment email from the records custodian assigned to provide records responsive to your request. While the request is processed, additional communications will take place and at each step, you will receive a notification and can track and receive your records via the portal.
It is the City of Columbia’s policy to collect costs, as allowed by law when fulfilling public records requests. Should there be a cost to fulfill your records request, you will be notified and provided instructions on how to make the payment.
While the Public Records Portal is the most efficient and preferred method to submit a public records request, you may always submit a request using this formopens PDF file via the following methods:
- In-person – You may hand-deliveropens PDF file your request to the Information Center on the second floor of the Columbia Police Department, 17 N. 7th Street, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- By mail – Mailed requestsopens PDF file should be addressed to Records Custodian, 600 E. Walnut Street, Columbia, MO 65201.
- By phone – For general questions about obtaining copies of police and accident reports contact Information Center Supervisor Kerri Seversen at (573) 874.7418.
When making your request be as specific as you can about what records you are seeking. Remember to provide a phone number and email address you can be contacted at in the event there are clarifications needed.