The Columbia Police Department Public Relations Unit is comprised of two civilian employees, better known as the as the Public Information Officers (PIOs). They are carefully selected to represent the police department in meeting communication needs. The PIOs work to cultivate and maintain effective relationships with the news media and community to ensure the integrity of ongoing criminal investigations.The Public Relations Unit is the most accurate source for information relating to local law enforcement operations in the city limits of Columbia.
The PIOs report directly to the City of Columbia Communications and Marketing Manager Brian Adkisson. They generally work Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. and are responsible for a variety of programs including:
- News release development and distribution
- Media interview accommodations
- Management of CPD social media platforms
- Management of CPD web pages
- Internal communication for officers and CPD staff
- News conference coordination
- Public safety campaign marketing and messaging
All news media and general inquiries should be directed to the PIOs at policepio@CoMo.gov, or by phone at the numbers listed below.
Ways to stay connected
Social media is a main source to follow the activities and operations of the Columbia Police Department. Often times, news reporters will get story ideas simply from following our Facebook and Twitter pages. Additional resources include:
We are working on a digital version of the media book, which is currently located in our lobby.
Records requests are made through the Public Records Portal.
The CPD Public Relations Unit created a Media Guide to assist members of the media in finding available resources, complying with public disclosure laws, and protecting the integrity of on-going criminal investigations. If you would like a hard copy of the Media Guide, please contact the Public Relations Unit.
- Crimes & arrests – What information is available?
- Do I call police or fire?
- Establishing the identity of a deceased person
- Amber Alerts
- Missouri Endangered Silver Advisory
- Critical incidents & high risk operations
- Media staging area
- Verifying tips from the public
- Missouri Sunshine Law
- Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
- Press Releases
- Police Data
- Body Worn Camera Footage
- Records Requests
- Budget Information
- Federal Asset Forfeiture Program (funding information)
- Unclaimed Property List
- Benchmark cities survey results