Columbia Parks and Recreation wants you to have a fun safe summer while enjoying our park playgrounds. Did you know that Columbia’s park system has more than 45 parks with playgrounds? Each playground has varying play features and many have loop trails and shelters with picnic tables. Our challenge for you is to get outside and explore your park playgrounds while staying SAFE, all summer long.
The Challenge…Including Tips for SAFE Play
From June 5 to September 7 (Labor Day), 2020 visit playgrounds at ten or more different parks, track your visits and turn in your completed tracking sheet to Columbia Parks and Recreation to receive a prize. Follow the following safety tips while participating in the challenge:
- Don’t visit the park if you are experiencing symptoms of any illness or were recently exposed to COVID-19.
- Wash your hands prior to leaving home.
- Pack hand sanitizer or liquid soap and water.
- Too crowded? Choose another playground.
- Don’t touch your face while playing.
- Stay at least 6 feet away from others (“social distancing”) at all times
- Wash your hands for at least 20 seconds or use hand sanitizer after playing at the park.
- Pack sunscreen and use care on sunny days to determine if the equipment is too hot for play.
- WASH YOUR HANDS…again and again!
June 5 to September 7 (Labor Day), 2020
- Click on the brochure image and print the 2020 “Visit Your Park Playgrounds Challenge” brochure (8.5″ x 11″, two pages) or pick up a copy at the Columbia Parks and Recreation Office, 1 S. 7th Street, Columbia, MO 65201
- Fill out one tracking sheet for each child. The tracking sheet is found on page two of the brochure. Fill in the date you visited each park (from June 5 to September 7, 2020). Be sure to answer the question at the end as to your child’s favorite play feature and sign the form.
- Use any of the following avenues to turn in your tracking form by September 18, 2020, to the Columbia Parks and Recreation main office:
- In-person: Columbia Parks and Recreation Office, 1 S. 7th Street (this is the main office)
- By mail: Columbia Parks and Recreation, P. O. Box 6015, Columbia, MO 65201
- E-mail: Scan tracking sheet and e-mail to email@example.com new email
Find park locations in the “Parks and Facility Guideopens PDF file .” Guides are available at Parks & Recreation offices.
- 10 parks: One youth daily pass to the ARC*
- 20 parks: One youth daily pass to the ARC*, plus one entry for the grand prize
- 30 parks: One youth daily pass to the ARC*, plus two entries for the grand prize
- 40 parks: One youth daily pass to the ARC*, plus five entries for the grand prize
- GRAND PRIZE: $100 Parks & Recreation Gift Certificate
* If submitted in person to the main office, children have a choice of other prizes (while supplies last). If we receive your submission by mail or e-mail, we will mail you your ARC youth pass.
- Visit park playgrounds from June 5 to September 7 (Labor Day), 2020
- Turn in your tracking form for each child no later than September 18, 2020.
- Grand prize winner will be announced on September 25, 2020.
Take photos of your family playing on various park playgrounds and share them on the Facebook Event page @comoparksandrec or email them to ParksandRed@Como.govcreate new email.
- “Families take playground challenge“
Columbia Daily Tribune, October 7, 2016