Did you know that Columbia’s park system has more than 45 parks with playgrounds? Each playground is different and play features vary from park to park. Columbia Parks and Recreation is presenting a challenge to children and parents or guardians to get out this summer and have fun exploring the variety of playgrounds at Columbia’s parks. The “Visit Your Park Playgrounds Challenge” kicks off on May 16, 2020 in conjunction with Kids to Parks Day – a national day of outdoor play organized by National Park Trust.
From May 16 (Kids to Parks Day) to September 7 (Labor Day), 2020 visit playgrounds at ten or more different parks, track your visits and turn in your completed tracking sheet to Columbia Parks and Recreation to receive a prize.
May 16 (Kids to Parks Day) to September 7 (Labor Day), 2020
- Print* the 2020 “Visit Your Park Playgrounds Challenge” brochure (8.5″ x 11″, two pages) or pick up one at the following locations (*COMING SOON):
- Columbia Parks and Recreation Office, 1 S. 7th Street, Columbia, MO 65201
- ARC, 1701 West Ash, Columbia, MO 65203
- Armory Sports Center, 701 E. Ash, Columbia, MO 65201
2. Fill out one tracking sheet for each child. The tracking sheet is found on page two of the brochure. Fill in the date you visited each park (from May 16 to September 7, 2020). Be sure to answer the question at the end as to your child’s favorite play feature and sign the form.
3. Use any of the following avenues to turn in your tracking form by September 18, 2020, to the Columbia Parks and Recreation main office:
- In person: Columbia Parks and Recreation Office, 1 S. 7th Street (this is the main office)
- By mail: Columbia Parks and Recreation, P. O. Box 6015, Columbia, MO 65201
- E-mail: Scan tracking sheet and e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Find park locations in the “Parks and Facility Guide.” Guides are available at Parks & Recreation offices.
- 10 parks: One youth daily pass to the ARC*
- 20 parks: One youth daily pass to the ARC*, plus one entry for the grand prize
- 30 parks: One youth daily pass to the ARC*, plus two entries for the grand prize
- 40 parks: One youth daily pass to the ARC*, plus five entries for the grand prize
- GRAND PRIZE: $100 Parks & Recreation Gift Certificate
* If submitted in person to the main office, children have a choice of other prizes (while supplies last). If we receive your submission by mail or e-mail, we will mail you your ARC youth pass.
- Visit park playgrounds from May 16 (Kids to Parks Day) to September 7 (Labor Day), 2020
- Turn in your tracking form for each child no later than September 18, 2020.
- Grand prize winner will be announced on September 25, 2020.
Take photos of your family playing on various park playgrounds to submit in an online Parks and Recreation photo contest taking place in July in honor of Parks and Recreation Month!
- “Families take playground challenge“
Columbia Daily Tribune, October 7, 2016