Saturday, August 18, 2018, 7:30-10:30 pm
Flat Branch Park / Twin Lakes Recreation Area
To stay up-to-date, visit our Facebook event page!
Kaleidospoke is a non-competitive, family friendly, organized night time GLOW bike ride along Columbia’s MKT Trail (with illuminated bridges!) from Flat Branch Park to Twin Lakes Recreation Area and back (just under 4 miles each way, approximately 8 miles round trip).
This is a relaxed ride and you are free to go at your own pace and decide when you want to get started (between 7:30-8:15 pm). We will have support on the trail beginning at 7:30 pm. If you want to ride to Twin Lakes in daylight, you will want to leave around 7:30-7:45 pm. The sun sets at 7:56 pm and it will be dark around 8:30 pm. Once at Twin Lakes, riders will enjoy s’mores by the bonfire (included in your registration), Kona Ice (not included) and entertainment. Then it’s time to show off your GLOW and enjoy the illumination along the trail during the ride back to Flat Branch Park. You can leave for your return trip whenever you are ready, but please be back to Flat Branch no later than 10:30 pm. Decorate your bike and yourself in GLOW, have fun with this and keep safety in mind! We will get you started with something bright for your bike and a couple of glow accessories (included in your registration).
Walt’s Bike Shop will join us before the ride at Flat Branch Park for any last minute minor bike maintenance as well as offering support during the ride. Get ready to GLOW! Helmets and front and rear bicycle lights are required – all Kaleidospoke riders will go through a check point before starting the event. Kids under 16 must be accompanied by an adult.
Kaleidospoke is $15 per person in advance. Registration includes the supported ride, an accessory for your bike, glow items and s’mores at the bonfire for each participant. ADVANCE REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED prior to Friday, Aug 17 at noon.
– To register over the phone, please call the Parks and Recreation main office at 573-874-7460 Monday-Friday, 8 am-5 pm or the ARC at 573-874-7700, seven days a week.
– To register online please visit this page.
There is no set minimum age, but we recommend Kaleidospoke for kids 8 and up (you know your young riders the best, if they are younger than 8 but are experienced trail riders, bring them along to join the fun). To ensure the safety of the riders, there is a 300 participant cap on this event.
- Make sure your bike is in good working order, tires aired, check brakes, etc. Visit Walt’s Bicycle and Wildernessopens in a new window for a tune up if needed.
- Decorate your bike and dress up in GLOW!
- Become familiar with the MKT trail between Flat Branch Park and Twin Lakes Recreation Area. This is a great family bike route during the day too!
- Check your front and rear bike lights to ensure they are in good working order.
- Did we mention GLOW? Yes – more GLOW is always good!
Kaleidospoke Schedule (subject to change)
Friday, August 17
4-6 pm Materials pick up at Walt’s Bike Shop (1217 Rogers St)
Saturday, August 18
6:30-7:30 pm: Materials pick up at Flat Branch Park (101 S 4th Street)
6:30-7:30 pm: Bike Maintenance by Walt’s Bike Shop at Flat Branch Park
7:30 pm: Supported Ride begins on MKT Trail
7:56 pm Sun sets
7:45-9:30 pm: Bonfire at Twin Lakes
8:45 pm: Burn Circus performs at Twin Lakes Recreation Area
9 pm (or when you’re ready): Return ride to Flat Branch
10:30 pm: Event Closes
Thanks to sponsors: