Columbia’s 68th Annual Fourth of July celebration
July 4, 2020~ 9:15 pm fireworks only
Choreographed to music simulcast on BXR 102.3
The City of Columbia’s Fourth of July Fire in the Sky celebration will only feature a fireworks display for 2020. The display is designed for many citizens to be able to watch the fireworks from their home.
In the interest of public safety and to ensure compliance with social distancing guidelines and limits on public gathering sizes as set by Columbia/Boone County Public Health and Human Services, Fire in the Sky is being modified this year.
Fireworks will be shot from Cosmo-Bethel Park, which will be closed to the public, to facilitate a safe fall-out zone so that the fireworks show reaches a height that is visible to as many residential homes in Columbia as possible.
- Last year’s fireworks display reached a height of 200-300 feet, this year’s will reach a height of 300-600 feet.
- Elevation of the park (752 feet) should provide visibility for at least a 4-mile radius.
- All parking areas at the park and neighboring Gentry Middle School and Rock Bridge High School will be closed.
- Please do not park on nearby residential streets or block traffic.
- Please do not gather in large groups to watch the fireworks, social distancing is encouraged.
4th of July Fun Packs
Purchase a fun pack with all you need to make 4th of July crafts at home!
Boone County Bicentennial Events
The Parley P. Pratt Freedom Run is still happening! This year’s event will be made up of four parts:
- A video explaining the First Amendment freedoms we’re celebrating on the course, told through the voices of community members.
- A downloadable mobile guide providing background on the symbols of our country’s foundational freedoms along the route.
- A commemorative t-shirt available with a $10 donation. Pre-order here. Pick-up will be July 3rd from 5-8 pm and July 4th from 6-9 am at the start line (near the Boone County Courthouse at the corner of Ash St and 8th St).
- Encouragement for citizens of the community to run/walk the course on their own on Independence Day weekend. Optional self-reporting of race time will be available through the event Facebook page.
Participants are also invited to share a photo along the route on Facebook or Instagram using #pppfreedomrun. More information can be found on facebook
Fire in the Sky presented by: