On March 1, 1999, the Columbia City Council adopted a resolution officially establishing the Columbia Mayor’s Council on Physical Fitness and Health. Like us on facebook for all of the latest information opens in a new window
Mission of the Council
Improve the physical fitness and health and enhance the quality of life of all citizens of Columbia and Boone County.
The Council is charged with the following duties:
- Educate the public about the importance of regular physical fitness activity.
- Promote, initiate, and encourage local physical fitness and sports programs.
- Assist Columbia businesses, schools and community organizations in establishing fitness programs.
- Recognize outstanding developments, contributions, and achievements in physical fitness.
- Submit annual reports to the City Council and the Governor’s Council on Physical Fitness and Health.
UPCOMING EVENTS: stay tuned!
Mayor’s Fitness Awards
Bike, Walk, and Wheel Week Breakfast Station
Zumba Glow Party!
More than 150 people joined the Mayor’s Council and MU students from the Program Development inLeisure Studies course for a night of glow in the dark Zumba! The event took place April 13, 2013 at Stephens Lake Amphitheater and was a huge success. Thank you to the students for planning the event, the MU football team and the ARC for attendance prizes, and the Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity for use of their sound system. The ladies of Joe Machens Toyota service department won the prize for the “most glowed group.” We look forward to putting on another Zumba Glow Party in the future!
True Life Run
The Mayor’s Council sponsored an agility station at the True Life Run during the True/False Film Festival on March 2, 2013. Almost 200 runners came through the course, which featured an agility ladder, cone drills, and jump roping. Cold and snowy, but lots of fun! Looking forward to next year.