|Funding Fiscal Year:||2019|
|Funding Source:||$200,000 – Park Sales Tax |
$217,726 – University of Missouri**
$75,000 – Tourism Development Funds^
|Year Completed:||2019 – Cross Country Course |
2020 – Large Shelter
* Partial funding for the cross country course is a portion of and is included in the original project 00518, South Regional Park Development.
** Mid-year appropriations; additional funding for course amenities came from partnership with the University Of Missouri.
^ Mid-year appropriation
The cross country course at Gans Creek Recreation Area is being planned in cooperation with the University of Missouri, to potentially serve as the future home of the Mizzou men’s and women’s cross country teams. In addition to the University’s use, the Missouri State High School Activities Association will be using the course for the Missouri State Cross Country Championships starting in November 2019. It is anticipated that when not in use by the University of Missouri or MSHSAA, the course will be made available to local track clubs, high schools, middle schools and other colleges as well as recreational runners. The initial construction of the cross country course is funded by the 2015 Park Sales Tax with additional amenities constructed utilizing funding provided by University of Missouri Athletics.
Tammy Miller, Marketing Specialist, 573-874-7465, email@example.com new email
Matt Boehner, Sr. Park Planner, 573-874-7204, firstname.lastname@example.org new email
- GCRA Cross Country Course Revised Plansopens PDF file
- GCRA Cross Country Course Plans – Originalopens PDF file
- 2018 Revised Gans Recreation Area Master Planopens PDF file
- New Cross Country Course at Gans Presentation for 2018 MTCCCA (MO Track and Cross Country Coaches Association) Clinic: Dec 7, 2018opens PDF file
Interested Parties (IP) Meeting and On-Line Survey:
An IP Meeting was held on Tuesday, July 10, 2018 at the Gans Creek Recreation Area Concession Building and an online survey was conducted from June 15 – July 15, 2018. View the comments receivedopens PDF file .
This project required a revision of the former Gans Creek Recreation Area Master Plan, which was part of the City Council approval process. The funding for this project was appropriated in FY 2016 into the Southeast Regional Park Phase I project, C00518. Additional information on the entire project may be viewed at:
Southeast Regional Park – Gans/Philips Phase I Development
The course has been completed and the dedication was held on September 27, 2019. The large shelter has been completed.
- “MU, city approach starting line on cross country course”
Columbia Missourian – 01/01/2019
- “Gans Creek cross country course scheduled to host 2021 SEC Championships“
Columbia Missourian – 08/20/2018
- “Columbia cross country course in the works”
Columbia Daily Tribune – 07/11/2018
- “Columbia residents provide feedback on proposed cross-country course”
Columbia Missourian – 07/10/2018