|Funding Fiscal Year:||2013|
* This was a mid-year appropriation. Donation funds were added to the existing Stephens Lake Park capital improvement project.
Description: Landscaping improvements and a memorial area in remembrance of Christy Welliver to be located west of the Stephens Lake Park beach area. The improvements will include landscaping additions, irrigation and drainage, improvements to the infrastructure at the site, a memorial plaque, and multiple tree plantings, making the beach entrance side of the park more attractive. The improvements will be accomplished with a combination of contract and force account labor. Friends and family of Christy Welliver raised all the funds for this project to honor Christy’s contributions to the community.
Project Manager: Matt Boehner, Sr. Park Planner, 874-7204, email@example.com new email
Project Status: Completed. A dedication ceremonyopens PDF file was held on October 20, 2013.
July 11, 2013
Programopens PDF file
About 50 of Christy Welliver’s friends and family gathered on July 11, 2013 for the groundbreaking ceremony for the Christy Welliver Memorial project at Stephens Lake Park. Parks and Recreation Director Mike Griggs and Sr. Park Planner Matt Boehner described the scope of the project for the audience. Friends and family members Deanna Harper, Chuck Graham, Rob Weagley, and Bill Stone were speakers on the program, recounting their beloved memories of Christy. The date of the groundbreaking ceremony was also the 96th birthday of Christy’s mother, Ruth Welliver, who was in attendance.
- Groundbreaking ceremony held for activist Christy Welliver memorial
Columbia Missourian – July 11, 2013
- (From Readers): The story of ‘remarkable’ Ruth Welliver
Columbia Missourian – July 10, 2013
- Columbia speaker series to honor disability advocate Christy Welliver
Columbia Missourian – July 9, 2013
- Christy Welliver memorial planned for Stephens Lake Park
Columbia Missourian – July 3, 2013
- Project at Stephens Lake Park to honor Christy Welliver
Columbia Daily Tribune – April 13, 2013
- Christy Welliver, 1952-2011
Columbia Daily Tribune – August 11, 2011
- Christy Welliver, known as community activist, fighter for social justice, dies
Columbia Missourian – August 11, 2011