Filing a Complaint of Discrimination
The City of Columbia Human Rights Commission is authorized and charged with the investigation of complaints of discrimination that occur within the City of Columbia by Chapter 12 of the City Code of Ordinances. View information about filing a complaint of discrimination.
Employment – Criminal Background Checks and Complaints
The City of Columbia ordinances prohibit employers from seeking criminal background information of an applicant at any time prior to a conditional offer of employment, unless an exception exists for the position applied for. This includes seeking criminal information on employment applications, pre-interview, during the interview and post-interview. View information about “Ban the Box”. The City of Columbia Human Rights Commission is authorized with the investigation of complaints that an employer unlawfully sought criminal background information under Chapter 12 of the Code of Ordinances. View information about filing a criminal background check complaint.
Human Rights Enhancement Program
The City of Columbia’s Human Rights Commission budgets annual funding for contracting with local organizations to conduct human rights educational activities and programs in our community. View information about the Human Rights Enhancement Program.
Human Rights Commission
- Purpose of the Commission/Ordinance
- 2017 Annual Reportopens PDF file
- 2016 Annual Reportopens PDF file
- 2015 Annual Reportopens PDF file
- 2014 HRC Commission Calendaropens PDF file
- 2014 Annual Reportopens PDF file
- 2013 HRC Annual Reportopens PDF file
Other Human Rights Information
- Universal Declaration of Human Rights:
- The UN (United Nations) Human Rights (external web site)
- Talking With Children & Teens About Hate and Intolerance
- Government Contactsopens PDF file
- American with Disabilities Act (ADA) Information (external web site)
How to Contact Us
If you have any questions about discrimination or the Human Rights Enhancement Program funding, or are interested in educational presentations and materials, then please contact the City of Columbia Law Department: