Private Water Supplies in Boone County

How can I have my private well water tested?

  • Pick up a test kit at the Health Department
  • Office hours are 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, Monday – Friday
  • The kit includes a mailing sticker to send the sample to the State Laboratory in Jefferson City
  • Water samples must be deposited in first class mail Monday through Thursday in order for the sample to be accepted by State Lab personnel

What happens if the results are unsatisfactory?

  • You can request assistance from the Health Department
  • You can request assistance from Environmental Health personnel, who may inspect the condition of the well and take an additional sample to help determine any problems with the private water supply
  • For assistance, please call 573-874-7346

Please note:

  • Water district facilities and municipal water supplies in Boone County are regulated by the Department of Natural Resources
  • Persons on a public water supply can receive updated information from the supplier of the water regarding bacteria and many other characteristics of the water supply, upon request
  • All complaints regarding any public water supply should be directed to the supplier or to the Department of Natural Resources (1-800-385-2129)