- Smoking is the #1 cause of preventable deaths in the U.S.
- Cigarette smoking is harmful to nearly every organ in your body and causes multiple chronic diseases, cancers, and various negative health effects.
- Smoking causes more deaths each year than HIV, drug and alcohol use, car accidents, and firearm-related injures combined. 1
- Smoking rates
- 95% of people who smoke every day started smoking before the age of 21. 2
- 20% of Boone County adults are current smokers. 3
- In December 2014, the City of Columbia implemented an ordinance stating that “It shall be unlawful for any person to sell tobacco products or tobacco product paraphernalia, alternative nicotine products or vapor products to a minor, any person under the age of 21 years”.
E-Cigarettes (Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems – ENDS)
- E-cigarette use is rapidly increasing, especially amongst teens and young adults.
- E-cigarettes often contain high amounts of nicotine and can lead to addiction.
- E-cigarette liquids often contain harmful chemicals that are not safe to inhale and are not approved by the FDA.
- In December 2014, the City of Columbia added e-cigarettes to the indoor smoking ban, making it illegal to use e-cigarettes in indoor public places.
- Want to quit smoking? We can help you! Click here for more information.
- CDC’s Quit Smoking Hotline: 1-800-QUIT-NOW
Tobacco Retailer Information