Animal Control supports responsible pet ownership while helping keep animals and the public safe.
- 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., 7 days a week, except on all observed City of Columbia holidays
- Emergency After Hours Services: An Animal Control Officer is on-call after hours and on holidays for the following emergency situations only:
- Wildlife inside the living areas of a residence (not outside or in a garage)
- Large animals running loose on a major roadway
- Sick or badly injured animals
- Vicious dogs that are currently running loose
- Reporting an animal bite
- Enforcing the animal ordinances for the City of Columbia and Boone County:
- Providing Rabies and animal welfare education
- Assisting with low cost or free spay and neuter options
- Investigating animal complaints
- Handling animal cruelty complaints
- Picking up sick and/or injured animals
- Providing free rides home for animals with microchip, City of Columbia license, or any other identification
File an Animal Control Complaint
Need to file an Animal Control Complaint? Learn more.
Report an Animal Bite
Were you or someone you know bitten by an animal? Report an animal bite here.
Report a Lost Pet
Please call Animal Control at 573-449-1888 to report a lost pet. Also, you can look for your pet in our shelter.
A limited number of free spay/neuter vouchers are available to pet owners in Columbia and Boone County. Vouchers are limited to one household per year. Learn more.
Responsible Pet Ownership
Here are some tips for responsible pet ownership:
- Daily love and attention
- Daily food and water
- Kept clean, brushed and groomed
- Sheltered from rain, snow, cold and drafts
- Spayed or neutered
- Licensed and tagged
- Regular veterinary care
- Observe your local Pet Waste law
Can’t find what you’re looking for? Contact us!