- Use caution with holiday decorations and whenever possible, choose those made with flame-resistant, flame-retardant or non-combustible materials.
- Keep candles away from decorations and other combustible materials, and do not use candles to decorate Christmas trees.
- Purchase only lights and electrical decorations bearing the name of an independent testing lab, and follow the manufacturer’s instructions for installation and maintenance.
- Carefully inspect new and previously used light strings and replace damaged items before plugging lights in. Do not overload extension cords.
- Always unplug lights before replacing light bulbs or fuses.
- Don’t mount lights in any way that can damage the cord’s wire insulation (i.e., using clips, not nails).
- Keep children and pets away from light strings and electrical decorations.
- Turn off all light strings and decorations before leaving the house or going to bed.
Columbia Fire Department
View all news
- Columbia Fire Department Citizen Survey
- The Columbia Fire Department appreciates your feedback and is providing an opportunity for input through a short survey.
- Columbia/Boone County Public Safety Joint Communications encourages use of Smart911
- The Columbia Fire Department reminds everyone that burn permits are required