**Our Ride-A-Long program is temporarily suspended due to the covid-19 pandemic**
The purpose of the Columbia Fire Department Ride-Along Program is to foster community involvement, understanding, and education by providing an opportunity for the public and city employees to gain the first-hand experience of the duties and responsibilities of Fire Department personnel.
- Hours of participation in the ride-along program are generally between 0800-2000.
- A civilian ride-along is to depart the Columbia Fire Department facilities by 2000 hours.
- Firefighters from other organizations may request to participate after 2000 hours; however, they must submit a letter from the Chief of their Department granting permission to ride. If approval granted, those who plan to spend an entire shift need to provide their own pillow, bedding, and clothing.
- All persons wishing to participate in the Ride-Along Program must be at least 18 years of age.
- Civilian ride-along will not be permitted to engage in any emergency scene activities, including, but not limited to interior firefighting activities, hazardous materials mitigation or other potentially dangerous tasks. Any deviation from this section must have the prior written approval of the Fire Chief.
- Pre-approved firefighters from other organizations may participate in emergency incidents where SCBA is not required to perform the task outside the structure, such as dragging hose, carrying and raising ladders, etc.
- The ride-along must adhere to orders from the Columbia Fire Department Division Chief and Company Officer(s).
- Any costs incurred as a result of medical care to treat an injury/illness sustained during the course of their ride-along period will be the sole responsibility.
- A ride-along request is to be submitted seven (7) days in advance for each date requested. The request form may be submitted in person or via fax, mail or email.
To request a ride-along with the Columbia Fire Department, please contact Fire Administration at 573-874-7393.