Alcoholic Beverage License

RENEWALS NOTE:  The adjusted due date for the submittal of the liquor license renewal application, payment of fees and Certificate of No Tax Due is now July 1, 2020.  The June 30, 2020 expiration date has been extended to August 31st.

Chapter 4, Columbia Code of Ordinances

It is unlawful for any person, either by himself or through the use of agents or servants, to engage in the manufacture, brewing, sale or distribution of intoxicating liquors or nonintoxicating beer, within the City without first having obtained a license. (Section 4-2, Columbia Code of Ordinances)

How does a business apply for an Alcoholic Beverage License?

Applications for a City Alcoholic Beverage (Liquor) Licenseopens PDF file may be obtained online or from the Business License Office located at 701 E Broadway. A valid Business License in the City of Columbia is required in addition to the liquor license.

New applications for Alcoholic Beverage License Requirements Checklist opens PDF file

The Liquor License application must be approved by the pertinent departments as well as the Finance Director. The approval process takes approximately two weeks at which time a license is issued by the Business Services Manager.

A criminal record check is required for each individual owner, partner and all members of an LLC.  If the applicant is a corporation, the managing officer, each offer and director, and all shareholders who own 10% or more of the stock of the business must obtain a criminal record check. If the owner, partner or managing officer is a naturalized citizen, proof of citizenship must be submitted.

A Statement of No Sales Tax Due shall be provided at time of application, which can be obtained from the Missouri Department of Revenue at 573-751-9268.

A copy of the lease, rental agreement or contract of sale must be provided at time of application for the leased business premise.

If the business is an LLC, please provide a copy of the Limited Liability Company Operation Agreement.

What is the term of an Alcoholic Beverage License? 

Liquor Licenses shall be issued for a period of one year from July 1st through June 30th of each year. Persons desiring to secure licenses after June 30th shall pay for such portion of the license year remaining at the time such license is issued. If there is a change in the managing officer, please complete the Alcoholic Beverage License Application to Change Managing Officeropens PDF file .

***Alcoholic Beverage License Renewal***


If you haven’t registered for a business license account, please create your account utilizing the Citizen Self Service (CSS) PortalView step-by-step instructions on creating your accountopens PDF file .

Please submit your Liquor License Application, payment of fees, and Certificate of No Tax Due to the Business License Division via our online portal, regular mail, or drop box at the back of City Hall at 701 E. Broadway.  Email business.license@como.govcreate new email if you would like to schedule an appointment to meet with Business License Staff.  Checks should be made payable to the City of Columbia.   

For a printable version of the Alcoholic Beverage License Renewal Form,  contact the Business License Office at business.license@como.govcreate new email or by calling 573-874-7549.

Deadline for Submission of Renewal Documentation and Fees:
Renewal of your liquor license and payment of fees must be received by the Business License Office by July 1.  Per Section 4-5(e) of the City Code of Ordinances, late charges will be added as follows for failure to renew and submit fees by the stated deadline:
             Renewals received between July 2 and July 30, 2020 will incur a $100 late fee
             Renewals received between August 1 and August 31, 2020 will incur a $200 late fee
             Renewals received after September 1, 2020 will incur a $300 late fee

Certificate of No Tax Due:
A Certificate of No Tax Due from the MO Dept. of Revenue must be received by the Business License Division before your liquor license can be issued.  Contact the MO Department of Revenue at 573-751-9268 or email new email.

If any information on your most recent Liquor License application has changed, please forward the updated information to business.license@como.govcreate new email.

What types of temporary Alcoholic Beverage Licenses are there? 

  • A Picnic License is issued to nonprofit/charitable groups for liquor sales. The fee is $15.00 for a period not to exceed seven (7) days.
  • A Caterer’s Permit is issued to businesses already possessing a valid liquor license to go off premises to serve alcohol.  More about the Caterer’s permit.
  • A Sidewalk Cafe license is issued to businesses already possessing a valid liquor license to sell such products on the public sidewalk adjacent to their place of business. Guidelines are attachedopens PDF file .

Mailing address:  Finance Department, Business License Office, PO Box 6015, Columbia, MO 65205
Physical location:  Finance Department, Business License Office, 701 E. Broadway, 5th Floor
Phone:  573-874-7376 or 573-874-7549; email: business.license@como.govcreate new email