Appointment of Counsel

If the Prosecuting Attorney or the Court are not willing to waive jail as a possible sentence if you are found guilty or plead guilty to your offense, the Judge will notify you before you enter a plea of guilty or not guilty.  If jail is a possible punishment and you cannot afford an attorney, the court will appoint an attorney to represent you.  You do not have a constitutional right to have an attorney appointed if jail is not a possible punishment.

Do not contact the State of Missouri Office of the Public Defender as they do not represent individuals in Municipal Court cases.