Snowfall is considered heavy when accumulations begin to reach six inches or more but this can vary depending on changing weather conditions and the duration of the snow. Policies are the same as a snow accumulation of 4 inches or more, but Public Works will reach out to other City departments as well as private contractors to assist. During heavy snows, private contractors may be utilized to help push snow off of downtown streets into large piles and then haul those piles to designated areas outside the City.
City departments that assist during heavy snowfall include Parks and Recreation and divisions of City of Columbia Utilities, such as Solid Waste and Columbia Water and Light.
- Snow Policies for 2 inches of Snow
- Snow Policies for 4 inches of Snow
- Sign up for Nixle Alerts
- What is a passable road?
- What is a Priority Neighborhood?
- Preparing for Snow Season – A Citizen’s Guide (pdf)
- City Snow Fighting Summary – City Channel Videoopens in a new window
- What is a Designated Snow Route/Priority Route?