The City of Columbia invites the public to participate in reviewing and commenting on the potential regulation of short-term rentals (STRs) in the city. A short-term rental is a dwelling unit rented out for a short period of time either informally or via an online platform/website including, but not limited to, AirBnB.com or VRBO.com. In response to public feedback obtained in February, April, and November 2018, text changes to the Unified Development Code (UDC) have been produced. The text changes include revisions to the definitions for “hotel” and “bed and breakfast”, creation of a definitions for “short-term rental” and “transient guest”, and creation of new use-specific standards governing the establishment and operation of a short-term rental inside the City’s corporate limits (Case # 31-2019).
Updated Public Input Schedule (Tentative)
- April 18, 2019 – P&Z Public Hearing and anticipated recommendation to City Council, City Council Chambers, 701 E. Broadway — Anticipated to be withdrawn from the agenda and brought back at a later date
- May 23, 2019 – P&Z Work Session to return to the topic, Conference Room 1A, 701 E. Broadway
Public notice of a future Planning Commission hearing on the revised STR regulations will be provided, as required by law, and the STR stakeholders group will be notified by e-mail. To stay informed, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the short term rentals email list.
Materials from March 21, 2019 Planning and Zoning Commission Meeting
Materials from March 7, 2019 Planning and Zoning Commission Meeting
Materials from February 7, 2019 Planning and Zoning Commission Work Session
- Staff Report to Planning and Zoning Commission
- STR Comment Summary Spreadsheet
- Public Comments #1
- Public Comments #2
- Converted PowerPoint – Joy Rushing’s R-2 Neighborhood
- Meeting Minutes
Previous Drafts and Meeting Materials
- December 20, 2018 Planning and Zoning Commission Listening Session Meeting Materials and Video
- Short Term Rental (STR) code amendments to the Unified Development Code (UDC) – Draft November 12, 2018
- Tuesday, Nov. 20 at 6 p.m.
- Thursday, Nov. 29, at 2 p.m.