NEW – Unified Development Code (Council Adopted March 20, 2017)
- Adoption Ordinance (Council Adopted March 20, 2017)opens PDF file
- Codified Table of Contentsopens PDF file
- Chapter 29 Article 1opens PDF file
- Chapter 29 Article 2opens PDF file
- Chapter 29 Article 3opens PDF file
- Chapter 29 Article 4opens PDF file
- Chapter 29 Article 5opens PDF file
- Chapter 29 Article 6opens PDF file
- Chapter 29 Appendix Aopens PDF file
Code Update Process and Supporting Documentation
The City of Columbia has hired Clarion Associates and Ferrell Madden LLC to prepare a comprehensive update of its land development codes, including but not limited to the Zoning Ordinance (Chapter 29) and Subdivision Regulations (Chapter 25). Current land use regulations for the downtown area may be replaced or supplemented by form-based controls that emphasize the consistency of the urban form and allow more flexible mixes of uses in that area. All land use regulations will be integrated and illustrated to incorporate best practices, to improve user-friendliness, to guide more consistent decision-making, and to simplify administration. Once the resulting development code has been drafted, a limited revision to the existing zoning map will be completed to align with the new code.
Clarion is a national land use consulting firm that has completed over 130 zoning and development code revision projects throughout the U.S. and Canada. Staff assigned to this project include Don Elliott, FAICP (planner-lawyer), Kristin Cisowski, LEED AP (planner-lawyer-engineer), and Alyssa Myers (graphic artist). Ferrell Madden is a nationally-recognized firm specializing in form-based zoning controls and urban design. Staff assigned to this project include Geoff Ferrell, FBCI, and Mary Madden, AICP.