Minor Home Repair Program

This program promotes neighborhood stability by making 0% interest loans to low-and-moderate income property owners to make necessary improvements to their homes. Please consult the program guidelines for full program requirements and procedures.

Do I qualify for the program?

Homeowners are eligible to apply for the repair program if they:

  • Own and live in the home that is to be rehabilitated
  • Reside within the city limits of Columbia
  • Meet the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD ) income limits (updated June 15, 2017)
  • Are not currently in bankruptcy proceedings
  • Are current on their mortgage and real estate taxes
  • Do not have more than $50,000 in readily available resources

How does the program work?

Assistance will be provided to qualified homeowners on a “first come, first served” basis. Once you have completed and returned your application, Community Development Department staff will meet with you at your home, complete an inspection and full energy audit, and develop the workscope. Bids will be solicited from at least three general contractors meeting the City of Columbia’s qualifications. Once bids are received, your application is submitted to the Community Development Department director for review and approval. You may select the contractor to perform the work from eligible bids received.  Applications for the Minor Home Repair Programs are currently closed.

What kind of improvements can I make?

  • Roof replacement
  • HVAC repair or replacement
  • Removing lead-based paint hazards
  • Electrical and plumbing repairs
  • Accessibility improvements
  • Energy improvements: attic insulation, door and window replacement

Enhanced Home Performance with Energy Star

All Minor Home Repair projects with potential for energy efficiency improvements will include a full energy audit and participate in the Enhanced Home Performance with Energy Star (EHPwES) program through the City of Columbia’s Water and Light Department. For more information on this program, click here. Any rebates issued through EHPwES for work funded by the Minor Home Repair Program will be applied directly to any outstanding loan balance.

There are certain things we cannot do. Funds cannot be used for:

  • Adding living or finished space
  • Exterior improvements such as fencing and landscaping
  • Replacement of items determined to be in good condition by staff

Can I do the work myself?

Yes, if homeowners are contractors and meet the qualifications for contractors in the City’s rehabilitation program. In owner-contractor projects, eligible costs are limited to materials, labor, subcontractors hired, and documented soft costs solely attributable to the project. Owner-contractors will not be reimbursed for their own labor, profit, or overhead. Contractor Application

How much can I borrow?

Maximum assistance is $10,000. Where project costs exceed available assistance, you may contribute up to $2,500 prior to signing a contract.

Assistance up to $1,000 will be provided as a grant. Additional grant funds (maximum of $5,000) may be approved to assist in reducing lead based paint hazards. All loans are deferred at 0% interest until title transfer or upon the leasing of the home, and are secured by a deed of trust. Payments on the loan are not required, but can be made any time without prepayment penalty.

What are the loan terms?

  • The first $5,000 in assistance through the Minor Home Repair Program for all program participants will be provided as a 0% interest deferred loan. This loan will be due upon title transfer.
  • Any amount of assistance exceeding $5,000 provided to households earning less than 50% of the HUD determined Area Median Income; households headed by persons aged 60 or older; or individuals with a disability will also be provided as a deferred loan due on title transfer.
  • Any amount of assistance exceeding $5,000 provided to households not meeting the requirements for deferred loans above will be repaid with monthly payments of $25 until the loan amount exceeding $5,000 has been paid in full.
  • In the event the property receiving assistance is no longer owned or occupied by the recipient, the balance shall be paid in full.

Will there be a lien on my property?

All loans made by the Community Development Department require the recipient to sign a promissory note which will be secured by a recorded deed of trust. The lien will be attached to the property being repaired.

How do I obtain an application?

The application process for the Minor Home Repair Program is currently closed. 

Program Wait-list

For more information, please contact Darcie Clark

Telephone: 573.874.7244 (TTY: 1.800.MOR.ELAY)
Fax: 573.874.7760
Email: darcie.clark@como.gov