Visual art has been featured as the city’s Commemorative Poster each year since 1992. The poster communicates the vitality and beauty of mid-Missouri, and specifically the City of Columbia, as well as the significance of the arts. The official poster is unveiled at an exciting get-together of arts enthusiasts in the fall and is available for purchase year-round. An award of $1,000 is presented to the artist for the right to reproduce artwork for the poster and for the cover of the following year’s City of Columbia Citizen Handbook. All past posters can be viewed in our Poster Gallery.
Proceeds from the Celebration of the Arts support the Columbia Arts Fund. Posters are sold year-round at the Convention and Visitors Bureau, 300 S. Providence.
Submissions now being accepted for the 2019 City of Columbia Commemorative Poster.
- Artists residing in mid-Missouri are eligible to apply. Must be 18 years or older.
- As this poster is representative of the vitality of the City of Columbia, the work must have some connection with the city.
- Work in all media is considered.
- Existing or newly created work may be submitted.
- A typed statement briefly explaining artwork must be submitted.
- If the artist does not own the entry, written permission from the owner to enter the work must be submitted with the entry.
- One artist will be selected for the Commemorative Poster design.
- Previous winners of the Commemorative Poster design are not eligible for reconsideration for poster design consideration until five years after winning (e.g. the winning artist from 2014 is eligible to win again in 2019).
- Honorable mention winners from the previous year may not submit the winning images again for at least one year. Other artworks will be considered.
Submit the opens in a new windowonline form with all attachments:
- Images of artwork (JPEG)
- Artwork information (title, medium, year executed, artist owned)
- Written statement briefly explaining artwork(s)
- If artist does not own the entry, written permission from the owner to enter the work in the poster contest.
If you would prefer to submit a opens in a new windowhard copy application, send materials to P.O. Box 6015, Columbia, MO, 65205, or deliver in person to our office on the second floor of City Hall. Please refer to the instructions for more information. You may also email all application materials to OCA@CoMo.gov.
Deadline to apply: Friday, April 5, 2019 by 5:00 p.m.