Visual art has been featured as the city’s Commemorative Poster each year since 1992. The poster communicates the vitality and beauty of mid-Missouri, and specifically the City of Columbia, as well as the significance of the arts. The official poster is unveiled at an exciting get-together of arts enthusiasts in the fall and is available for purchase year-round. An award of $1,250 is presented to the artist for the right to reproduce artwork for the poster and for the cover of the following year’s City of Columbia Citizen Handbook. All past posters can be viewed in our Poster Gallery.
Proceeds from the Celebration of the Arts support the Columbia Arts Fund. Posters are sold year-round at the Office of Cultural Affairs, 300 S. Providence.
Submissions now being accepted for the 2018 City of Columbia Commemorative Poster.
Last year, the Commemorative Poster contest expanded in order to attract more submissions that specifically focus on the City of Columbia as well as to offer additional artist opportunities:
- Artists residing in mid-Missouri are eligible to apply. Must be 18 years or older.
- As this poster is representative of the vitality of the City of Columbia, the work must have some connection with the city.
- Work in all media is considered.
- Existing or newly created work may be submitted.
- A typed statement briefly explaining artwork must be submitted.
- If the artist does not own the entry, written permission from the owner to enter the work must be submitted with the entry.
- One artist will be selected for the Commemorative Poster design as well as for the cover of the following year’s City of Columbia Citizen Handbook.
- Other submissions, approximately 7-15 artworks per year, will be selected as honorable mentions. Artists will receive an honorarium of $100 per work selected and will be featured in the following year’s City of Columbia Citizen Handbook.
- Previous winners of the Commemorative Poster design are not eligible for reconsideration for poster design consideration until five years after winning (e.g. the winning artist from 2013 is eligible to win again in 2018). However, all entries are considered for the honorable mention category.
- Honorable mention winners from the previous year may not submit the winning images again for at least one year. Other artworks will be considered.
Submit the online formopens in a new window with all attachments:
- Images of artwork (JPEG)
- Artwork information (title, medium, year executed, artist owned)
- Written statement briefly explaining artwork(s)
- If artist does not own the entry, written permission from the owner to enter the work in the poster contest.
If you would prefer to submit a hard copy applicationopens in a new window, send materials to P.O. Box 6015, Columbia, MO, 65205, or deliver in person to our office at 300 S. Providence Rd. Please refer to the instructions for more information. You may also email all application materials to OCA@CoMo.gov.
Deadline to apply: Friday, March 30, 2018 by 5:00 p.m.