Boone County Courthouse
Address: 801 E. Walnut Street
This mural, painted in 1994 by local artist Sidney Larson, depicts the evolution of the justice system in Boone County. It contains vignettes of well-known citizens James Sidney Rollins, George Caleb Bingham, and freed slave John B. Lange, a successful entrepreneur. It also illustrates the stand by citizens called “Tigers” against guerilla forces during the Civil War. A second floor mural, also by Larson, shows citizens gathering for church services and community activities in the new courthouse.
Howard Building Municipal Court Room
Address: 600 E. Broadway
The 12 panels featured in the courtroom were painted from 1934 to 1938 by University of Missouri art professor Dr. Kenneth Hudson. Each panel represents an event of interest in the development of Columbia as a city. Subjects depicted include early settlers, wagon trains, Columbia’s colleges and the University of Missouri, Missouri River commerce, the railroad from Centralia to Columbia, pit coal mining, and farming. Panels include period representations such as a Ford Model T and a 1930s street scene of downtown Columbia.
The Guitar Building
Address: 28 N. Eighth Street
Local artist Sidney Larson created these paintings in 1989. The panels depict a social history of Columbia and Boone County from the mid-1830s to the early 1900s. Among the notables included in the murals are: renowned artist George Caleb Bingham; James Sidney Rollins, “father” of the University of Missouri; John H. Lathrop, first president of MU; Civil War General Odon Guitar; and postmistress Ann Hawkins Gentry. One panel shows packed trains loaded with furs on their way to St. Louis, illustrating the importance of Columbia’s location on the Boone’s Lick Trail, which made the town a major link to the Santa Fe and Oregon Trails in the 19th century.