Planning And Zoning Commission
Meeting Body Details
Prepares and submits a comprehensive development plan for adoption by the City Council; makes recommendations for interpretation of the plans; acts as a zoning commission; prepares and recommends rules controlling subdivision of land; recommends approval or disapproval of plats for land subdivision; and recommends legislation to further City planning. Members of this nine member commission must be qualified voters and residents of the City at least one year immediately prior to appointment and cannot hold any other office or position in City administration. The length of terms is four years, with openings occurring in May.
Members & Terms:
- Valerie Carroll - Term Ending May 31, 2023
- Joy Rushing - Term Ending May 31, 2022
- Sharon Geuea Jones - Term Ending May 31, 2024
- Michael MacMann - Term Ending May 31, 2024
- Brian Toohey - Term Ending May 31, 2021
- Anthony Stanton - Term Ending May 31, 2022
- Sara Loe - Term Ending May 31, 2021
- Tootie Burns -Term Ending May 31, 2023
- Lee Russell - Term Ending May 31, 2023
Sec. 29-6.1(b) Planning and zoning commission (P&Z).
Continued existence, membership, and qualifications, attendance.
- The city planning and zoning commission ("commission") established prior to the effective date of this chapter shall continue in existence.
- The commission shall consist of nine (9) members appointed by the council for staggered terms of four (4) years. All members shall be appointed as provided for in this article for terms beginning on the first day of June. Six (6) members of the commission shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of business.
- The members of the commission shall be qualified voters, residents of the city at least one year immediately prior to the date of their appointment, and shall hold no other office or position in the city administration. Appointments to fill vacancies shall be for unexpired terms only. All members shall serve without pay.
- The chair of the commission is authorized to excuse any member from attendance at a commission meeting; provided, that the member requested to be excused before the meeting. Any member who is absent, without being excused, from three (3) regular meetings in any twelve-month period shall automatically forfeit their office. Furthermore, any member who has a combination of five (5) or more excused or unexcused absences from regular meetings within any twelve-month period shall automatically forfeit their office. It shall be the duty of the chair to promptly notify the council of the vacancy.
Powers and duties. The commission shall:
- Prepare and submit to the council for its adoption a comprehensive plan for the physical development of the city and uses of land in the city. The plan may include the general location and character of residential, commercial, mixed use, industrial and other areas, the general location, character and extent of streets, bridges, parks, waterways and other public ways, grounds, and spaces, together with the general location of public buildings and other public property, public utilities, and the extent and location of any public housing or slum clearance projects.
- Make recommendations in connection with the execution and detailed interpretation of the comprehensive plan
- Act as a zoning commission, in accordance with the provisions of present or future state zoning enabling acts.
- Prepare and recommend to the council rules controlling the subdivision of land.
- Make recommendations regarding the approval or disapproval of plats for land subdivision. All such plats shall be referred to the commission before the council takes any action. Failure of the commission to act within sixty (60) days shall be deemed a recommendation for approval.
- Recommend to the council such amendments or revisions to this chapter as the commission shall deem necessary or desirable for the promotion of the health, safety, morals and general welfare of the inhabitants of the city. Such provisions may include regulations as to the location, width, height, and bulk of buildings; the size of yards, courts, and other open spaces surrounding buildings; and the use of buildings and land. The commission shall hear applications for amendments, modifications or revisions of this chapter and shall forward such applications to the council with its recommendations on the application. The recommendations of the commission shall not be binding upon the council, which may approve or disapprove the commission's findings; however, no plan or ordinance related to zoning, nor any modification, amendment or revision of such a plan or ordinance, shall be finally considered by the council unless it has been first submitted to the commission for its examination and recommendation.
- Recommend from time to time any other legislation which may be desirable to further the purposes of city planning.
- Make such reports to the council as it may deem proper or as required by the council.
- Assume any other powers and perform any other duties as are provided for by the Charter of the city or by council action.
- Adopt rules for the conduct of its business that are consistent with the purposes of the commission and the requirements of this chapter, which shall be approved by council ordinance.