Emery Sapp & Sons, Inc., contractor for the City of Columbia, plans to begin the first phase of the Nifong Boulevard/Forum Boulevard Corridor Improvement Project on May 4, weather permitting. The estimated completion date for the first phase of the project is fall 2020. The second phase of the project is scheduled to begin in 2021.
- West Nifong Boulevard (Bethel Street to near Willowcreek Lane);
- Forum Boulevard (West Green Meadows Road roundabout to Nifong Boulevard intersection)
- West Nifong Boulevard (Bethel Street to South Providence Road)
The contractor tentatively plans to begin working along Nifong Boulevard at the southwest end of the project near Willowcreek Lane and to work eastward toward Bethel Street. Updates will be provided by press release or social media.
"The 2020 phase of the project will improve safety and traffic flow by widening the roadway and improving the intersections along Nifong Boulevard and on Forum Boulevard south of the Green Meadows roundabout," Public Works Director David Nichols said. "The 2021 phase will focus on access management, improving safety issues near Providence Road. This area is a very busy commercial corridor, which also includes school traffic, and these improvements will be a lasting benefit as the area keeps growing."
Construction west of Bethel Street is currently scheduled for 2020. Work east of Bethel Street is scheduled for 2021.
All schools, businesses and homes will remain accessible throughout the project. Forum Boulevard and Nifong Boulevard will both remain open in both directions with revolving lane restrictions. Traffic delays are possible. Your patience is appreciated.
The estimated investment for the Nifong Boulevard/Forum Boulevard Corridor Improvement Project is $12,300,000. The funding source is the 2015 Capital Improvement Sales Tax. Interested parties meetings for the project were held on March 7, 2015; July 27, 2017; and Oct. 26, 2017. The project was approved by City Council Jan. 16, 2018, after a public hearing. More information about the project is available at CoMo.gov/PublicWorks/Nifong-corridor-and-Forum.
NIFONG/FORUM IMPROVEMENTS OVERVIEW (2020-2021)
The Nifong Boulevard and Forum Boulevard improvements will improve intersections and add two additional through lanes to Forum Boulevard and Nifong Boulevard beginning in 2020 and finishing by fall 2021. The project includes two new signalized intersections, two improved signalized intersections, pedestrian crossings, bike lanes, sidewalks and more. (Two other Public Works Capital Improvement Program (CIP) projects and a private project will also occur along Nifong Boulevard.)
- Nifong Boulevard will be widened and improved between Willowcreek Lane and Bethel Street.
- Forum Boulevard will be widened and improved between the Nifong Boulevard intersection and West Green Meadows Road.
- The intersection of Nifong Boulevard and Forum Boulevard will be improved.
- The intersection of Nifong Boulevard and Bethel Street will be improved.
- In a separate CIP project, a new sidewalk will be constructed on the east side of Sinclair Road between Nifong Boulevard and Southampton Drive.
- In a separate CIP project, roundabouts are being constructed on Nifong Boulevard at Sinclair Road and Old Mill Creek Road.
- Nifong Boulevard will be widened and improved between Bethel Street and South Providence Road.
- Access management improvements will be implemented on Nifong Boulevard between Bethel Street and South Providence Road.
- The intersection of Nifong Boulevard and South Providence Road will be improved on the west side.
- The intersection of Nifong Boulevard and Monterey Drive will be converted to a signalized intersection.
- A private developer is planning to construct two new streets-Aurora Drive and Nova Way--that will provide an additional connection between Nifong Boulevard and Peachtree Drive (Construction dates TBD).
- A new signalized intersection will be constructed at the intersection of Nifong Boulevard and Aurora Drive (see above).
Complete details about City of Columbia Public Works CIP projects are available at CoMo.gov/PublicWorks/Construction.