- Due to the National Weather Service (NWS) forecast for unseasonably cold weather below 9 degrees Fahrenheit, the City of Columbia will open a temporary overnight warming center at Wabash Bus Station (126 N. Tenth Street) on Wednesday, Feb. 12 and Thursday, Feb. 13 from 7 p.m. to 6 a.m. each evening. The overnight warming center will serve as a resource for individuals unable to access local emergency shelter services. City staff will continue working closely with emergency shelter providers to ensure access to overnight emergency shelters as the preferred option for persons experiencing unsheltered homelessness.
Columbia/Boone County Public Health and Human Services (PHHS) also coordinates a network of warming centers in the community during cold weather; these centers are available to the general public during the building’s normal business hours.
Columbia's regular warming centers include the following locations.
- Activity and Recreation Center (ARC) at 1707 W. Ash St. - 573.874.7700
- Armory Sports and Community Center at 701 E. Ash St. - 573.874.7466
- Boone County Government Center at 801 E. Walnut St. - 573.886.4305
- Columbia/Boone County PHHS at 1005 W. Worley St. - 573.874.7488
- Columbia Mall at 2300 Bernadette Drive - 573.445.8458
- Columbia Public Library at 100 W. Broadway - 573.443.3161
- Salvation Army at 1108 W. Ash St. - 573.442.3229
- Salvation Army Harbor House at 602 N. Ann St. - 573.442.1984
Harry S. Truman Memorial Veterans’ Hospital (800 Hospital Drive) is also initiating a Warm Haven program for sheltering veterans overnight on Wednesday, Feb. 12 and Thursday, Feb. 13. Veterans are able to spend the night in the emergency room lobby area. Shelter will be provided to a veteran’s family as well, if they accompany the veteran. No one will be turned away during inclement weather regardless of veteran status. More information is available by calling the hospital at 573.814.6000.
Additional information on warming centers can be found at como.gov/health/human-services/warming-and-cooling-centers/.