On Friday, Aug. 16, the Columbia Police Department provided an update to the media regarding human remains found Thursday, Aug. 15 in the 1900 block of N. Providence Road. Assistant Police Chief Jeremiah Hunter released the following information:
- An autopsy this morning could not determine the cause of death, age, sex, or how long the baby has been deceased.
- It is still believed the baby is less than one year of age.
- Specialists, such as an anthropologist, will now assist in trying to answer the above questions.
- Employees of McKnight Tire and Auto found the baby’s remains.
- Leads are being received and actively investigated.
- Detective and patrol officers are working continuously to find the identity of the baby.
- We need the community's continued assistance to share any leads that might help identify this baby.
If you know of a child under the age of one who has not been seen for a period of time or if you have any information which you think could be helpful, we ask you to call. Please call the Columbia Police Department at 573.874.7423 to leave a message for detectives or CrimeStoppers at 573.875.TIPS to remain anonymous.
Case number 2019-008433
Original press release:
Columbia Police seek community help to identify remains of a baby found Aug. 15