The City of Columbia's 67th annual Fourth of July Fire in the Sky celebration is back again for another year of family-friendly fun.
Live entertainment and activities will begin at 6:30 p.m. at Lucky's Market, 111 S. Providence Road, and Flat Branch Park, 101 Fourth St. Food trucks will be offered at both locations, and children's inflatables and crafts will take place at Flat Branch Park.
Entertainment at the Lucky's stage includes Boone Howlers at 6:30 p.m. and Burnin' Down the House at 7:45 p.m. The Flat Branch Park stage will feature the Kansas City Street Band at 6:30 p.m. and Banastre Tarleton Band at 7:45 p.m.
A fireworks display will begin at 9:15 p.m., launched from the field south of the Lucky's parking lot. The fireworks will be choreographed to music, which will be played from both stages and simulcast on BXR 102.3.
Providence Road will be closed from Elm to Broadway starting at approximately 8:30 p.m. Providence will reopen after the show is complete and officials have given the "all-clear" to reopen the street.
Attendees are encouraged to bring blankets or lawn chairs. Here are some helpful tips for event-goers:
Parking and Street Closures
Free parking is available throughout the District and on the University of Missouri campus, in any City- or University-owned lots and parking garages, unless they are marked closed or are restricted with signs posted "permit enforced 24/7."
- Fourth Street will be closed from Locust to Cherry beginning at 1 p.m.
- Beginning at 3 p.m.:
o Second Street will be closed southeast bound to Providence.
o Cherry Street westbound from Providence will be closed to through traffic.
- Beginning at 7 p.m., Locust will be closed westbound from Providence to Fifth Street.
- Providence will be closed at 8:30 p.m. from Elm to Broadway until after the fireworks show has ended and the "all-clear" is given.
- Police will guide exiting traffic and pedestrians after the fireworks show. Some streets may be made one direction only at that time to assist traffic flow.
- Vehicles will not be allowed on the top floor of the 10th and Cherry Parking Garage. Vehicles can park on the top floors of the Fifth and Walnut Parking Garage, Eighth and Walnut Parking Garage, Short Street Parking Garage and Sixth and Cherry Parking Garage.
- Pedestrians can use the top floor of all City parking garages for viewing purposes.
Tips and General Information
- Arrive early, wear sunscreen and drink plenty of water.
- Let the traffic clear after the show and spend some time enjoying the District.
- Bike the MKT Trail into downtown, or walk. The trail leads directly to Flat Branch Park. Bike racks will be available.
- Food trucks will be available at both event locations.
- Bring a blanket or lawn chair for seating. Please do not bring fireworks, alcohol or grills to the event.
- To safely move between the two event locations, use the crosswalk at Providence and Locust. Columbia Police officers will be stationed at the crosswalk to assist pedestrians crossing to and from the event.
Fire in the Sky is made possible by generous sponsor donations from Columbia Insurance Group and KOMU 8 as presenting sponsors and by the Cosmopolitan Luncheon Club, First State Community Bank, BXR102.3, KFRU1400, Columbia Convention and Visitors Bureau and Lucky's Market.
For more information please visit CoMo.gov and search Fourth of July or call 573.874.7460.