The Columbia Police Department is investigating a burglary which occurred at 3:53 a.m. on Aug. 18 at 912 Richmond Ave., Zeta Tau Alpha Sorority. Initial investigation reveals that a White or Hispanic male entered the sorority house through an unlocked door. The suspect was encountered by several residents and told to leave the house, which he did. It is believed the male walked to the west after leaving the house.
The suspect is described as a White or Hispanic male in his 20s to 30s with short cut dark hair and a tattoo on the back of his neck/upper shoulder area. He was wearing a blue or purple T-shirt, blue jeans, white tennis shoes and a KC Royals baseball cap. A photo of the suspect is attached.
There was no property taken and no house members were harmed. The investigation is ongoing.
The Columbia Police Department is asking for the community's assistance identifying the suspect. If you have any information regarding this incident, please call the Columbia Police Department at 573.874.7652, or call CrimeStoppers at 573.875.TIPS (8477) to remain anonymous.
The Columbia Police Department and MU Police offer the following burglary prevention and safety tips:
- Ensure that all doors and windows remain locked.
- Secure sliding doors by placing a metal bar or wood dowel rod in the track and install vertical bolt locks.
- Always lock doors to attached structures such as garages.
- If you see something suspicious, say something. Call law enforcement by dialing 9-1-1 for emergency events or 3-1-1 for non-emergency events.
- Additional crime prevention tips can be found on the Columbia Police Department website at CoMo.gov/Police and on the MUPD website.