Columbia Police officers have arrested Gary R. Jolley, 64, of Columbia following a domestic disturbance with a gun in the 1400 block of Ballenger Place. The incident occurred last night at 8:03 p.m. While officers were en-route to the scene, they were advised by Boone County Joint Communications shots had been fired and there were several individuals - adults and children - in the residence.
Both Columbia Police officers and Boone County Sheriff's deputies responded to the scene. The Columbia Police Department Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) team was requested. While on scene, officers were advised several individuals had made it out of the residence safely, but others were still inside. Officers approached the residence and located Jolley inside. Jolley was then taken into custody from the scene.
The investigation revealed Jolley arrived at the residence armed with a rifle and forced entry into the home by gunfire. There were at least eight adults and six juveniles present in the home when Jolley fired a shot. Jolley made threats to kill a female victim, 58, who was previously in an intimate relationship with Jolley. The victim, who was holding a six-month-old female, retreated to a room in the residence with a 16-year-old female juvenile. The juvenile victim held the door closed as Jolley attempted to gain entry. Jolley then fired a round through the door, during which the juvenile victim sustained an injury to her hand. It is unclear if the injury was from the bullet or debris from the door. A struggle ensued between the juvenile victim and Jolley during which more shots were fired. The juvenile victim eventually disarmed Jolley and restrained him temporarily until adult subjects assisted in restraining Jolley. As Jolley was being restrained he struck a 27-year-old female victim multiple times. All individuals inside the residence at the time of the incident were known to Jolley. There were no further injuries as a result of the incident to any of the other individuals. The amount of property damage is unknown at this time.
A search warrant was served at the residence and officers located bullet holes, a rifle, handguns, and ammunition both inside and outside the residence. Officers also located bullets on Jolley's person.
Jolley was arrested at 8:30 p.m. for the following:
- Burglary in the First Degree with a bond to be set by the Court.
- Armed Criminal Action with a bond to be set by the Court.
- Felony Unlawful Use of a Weapon with a bond to be set by the Court.
- Six (6) counts of Felony Endangering the Welfare of a Child with a total bond of $27,000.00.
- Domestic Assault in the First Degree with a bond to be set by the Court.
- Domestic Assault in the Second Degree with a bond of $4,500.00.
- Two (2) counts of First Degree Assault with a bond to be set by the Court.
- Felony Property Damage with a bond of $4,500.00.
- Misdemeanor Domestic Assault with a bond of $1,000.00.