The Columbia Police Department concluded its Pedestrian Safety Campaign last week.
During the warning phase the Traffic Unit along with the Downtown Unit made 30 contacts for various pedestrian violations. Warnings were issued during this phase.
Last week was our Enforcement Phase. During this phase we had another 30 contacts. Citations were issued to about a dozen violators.
These are some of the Common Violations we looked for and issued citations for:
- Fail to yield to pedestrian in a crosswalk
- Pedestrian failed to obey crosswalk signal
- Pedestrian crossing roadway in prohibited place/not in a crosswalk in the business district
- Parked/stopped on crosswalk
- Illegal to ride a bicycle on a sidewalk in the downtown district
- Bicyclist failed to obey traffic control devices
Media inquiries can be directed to a Columbia Police Department PIO.
Pedestrian safety is everyone's responsibility.