April 6, 2015
For Media Release:
The Columbia Police Department wants to remind motorists, pedestrians and bicyclists to travel safely around Columbia. The Traffic Unit along with the Downtown Unit will be conducting the second part of our Pedestrian Safety Campaign this week. During this week we will be looking for pedestrian related violations and issuing citations.
Common Violations we will be looking for:
- Fail to yield to pedestrian in a crosswalk
- Pedestrian failed to obey crosswalk signal
- Pedestrian crossing roadway in prohibited place/not in a crosswalk in the business district
- Parked/stopped on crosswalk
- Illegal to ride a bicycle on a sidewalk in the downtown district
- Bicyclist failed to obey traffic control devices
Media inquiries can be directed to a Columbia Police Department PIO.
Pedestrian safety is everyone's responsibility.