MARCH 30, 2015
The Columbia Police Department and GetAboutColumbia, in an effort to remind us all, of the importance of Pedestrian Safety will be doing a Pedestrian Safety Campaign in the next couple of weeks. All of us become a pedestrian of some kind on any given day.
On April 1st 2015 the Traffic Unit will be conducting a Warning Phase, during which we will be looking for pedestrian violations, whether they are committed by a motorist or a pedestrian. We will be handing out Warning Flyers that contain information about pedestrian violations. We invite any media that would like to attend to please do so as this would help us get the message out about Pedestrian Safety. There will be a briefing at 9:30am at the Police Department.
During the week of April 6th 2015 the Traffic Unit along with the Downtown Unit will be conducting an Enforcement Phase looking for pedestrian related violations. We will also be looking for bicyclists riding on the sidewalk in the Business District, as this is illegal. Citations will be issued during this phase.
Common Violations we will be looking for:
- Fail to yield to pedestrian in a crosswalk
- Pedestrian failed to obey crosswalk signal
- Pedestrian crossing roadway in prohibited place/not in a crosswalk in the business district
- Parked/stopped on crosswalk
- Illegal to ride a bicycle on a sidewalk in the downtown district
- Bicyclist failed to obey traffic control devices
Media inquiries can be directed to a Columbia Police Department PIO.
Pedestrian safety is everyone's responsibility.