***SAFETY CHECKPOINT RESULTS***
On May 8, 2014, the Columbia Police Department conducted a Motor Vehicle Safety
Checkpoint on Derby Ridge at Typhoon Ct. This operation began at approximately 1:58
P.M. and concluded at approximately 3:46 P.M.. The purpose of this operation was to
increase safety on the roadways of Columbia by identifying and citing those drivers who
are unlicensed, driving with a suspended or revoked driver's license, and/or driving while
uninsured. Officers working the checkpoint also looked for child restraint violations, safety
belt violations and any other visible safety violations.
During the Safety Checkpoint, the following actions were taken:
• 1 citation issued for operating a motor vehicle without a valid driver's license
• 5 citations and 7 warnings issued for failing to maintain financial responsibility (no
• 14 citations for no seatbelt use
• 4 citations for Driving while Revoked or Suspended
• 1 citation for a unlicensed vehicle
• 3 citations for child restraint violation
• 1 warrant arrest for no valid driver's license
Approximately 211 vehicles were checked during the Safety checkpoint. The Columbia
Police Department wishes to thank the citizens of The City of Columbia and Boone
County, Mo., for their patience and cooperation during this operation.
This event was funded by a grant from the Missouri Department of Transportation
Division of Highway Safety.