The North Village Residential Parking By Permit Only (RPPO) program is slated to begin soon. This is a council authorized 6 month pilot project which will be evaluated for future viability.
Owners or renters of homes in the area established by Ordinance 14-313 who would like to park along the street in designated locations, may apply for and receive a special parking permit from the Columbia Public Works Department, located on the 3rd floor of City Hall at 701 E Broadway. Applicants should bring proof of residency such as a copy of your lease, recent utility bill in the name of the applicant, or other verifiable proof of residency.
The following is a timeline of implementation activities for the RPPO:
- February 11 and 12, signs placed indicating the areas along St. Joseph St, St. James St, Hubbell Drive and Ash St which are designated as RPPO parking stalls. Eligible permit holders may park in those spaces after obtaining a permit.
- February 11, meters will be installed along certian areas of St. Joseph St and St. James St.
- February 11 through 19, enforcement will consist of warnings.
- February 20, full enforcement of permit and metered parking will begin.
Several points which should be noted concerning the RPPO:
- Each residential unit within the RPPO may obtain a maximum of two (2) permits. There is no cost to obtain the permit. A simple application form, as mentioned above, must be completed.
- Permits are valid only for the vehicle the permit is assigned to.
- The permit must be displayed properly per instructions included on the permit application form.
- A parking permit does not allow permit holders to park in a metered space. Permit holders parking in a metered space must pay for the time they will park in the metered space with coin or an EZ Park card.
Attached to this release is a copy of letters sent to all physical addresses within the RPPO which includes a sample of the permit application and a locator map depicting the RPPO. Attached also is a sample of the application form which notes the proper procedure to display the permit on a motor vehicle or motorcycle.
It is hoped that this RPPO will help alleviate parking issues within the North Village area.