- A stable, more satisfied tenant base.
- Increased demand for rental units with a reputation for active management.
- Lower maintenance and repair costs.
- Increased property values.
- Improved personal safety for tenants, landlords, and managers.
Costs of Drug Activity in Rental Property:
When drug criminals and other destructive tenants operate out of rental property, neighborhoods suffer and landlords pay a high price. That price may include:
- Decline in property values — particularly when the activity begins affecting the reputation of the neighborhood.
- Property damage arising from abuse, retaliation, neglect, or from police raids.
- Fire resulting from manufacturing or growing operations.
- Civil penalties, including temporary closure of the property — or even property seizure.
- Loss of rent during eviction and repair periods.
- Fear and frustration when dealing with dangerous and threatening tenants.
- Increased resentment and anger between neighbors and property managers.
- The loss of other valued tenants.
The Crime Free Multi-Housing Program Will Teach You:
I. Prevention and Applicant Screening
- How code compliance (preparing the property) can protect your rights as a landlord.
- Benefits of applicant screening.
- Tips to strengthen rental agreements.
- How to become a proactive property manager.
- Maintaining a fire safe environment.
- Development of life safety awareness.
II. Drug Nuisance Abatement
- Warning signs of drug activity.
- Actions you must take if you discover your tenant or tenant’s guests are conducting illegal activities at your property.
- Role of the police.
- Crisis resolution and the eviction process.
III. Resource Materials
- A 170-page manual with additional community resources for tenants, landlords, and property managers.
- A manual addressing fire and life safety awareness for tenants, landlords, and property managers.
- Many other FREE materials will be available at class time.
- One of the tools of the Crime Free Multi-Housing Program is the Crime Free Lease Addendum.
And best of all … the training is FREE!!
List of fully certified properties:
- Aria Luxury Apartments, 4500 Kentsfield Lane, Columbia, MO 65201 – (573) 815-7300
- Midtown by Brookside, East Walnut Street, Columbia, MO 65201 – (573) 815-7457
- Brookside Downtown, 120 South Tenth Street, Columbia, MO 65201 – (573) 815-7458
- Townhomes by Brookside, 400 West Old Plank Road, Columbia, MO 65203 – (573) 815-7455
- Brookside Downtown on Elm, 825 Elm Street, Columbia, MO 65201 – (573) 815-7456
- Deerfield Apartments, 1516 Sylvan Lane #1, Columbia, MO 65202 – (573) 886-8638
- Columbia Crossing Apartments, 2206 Whitegate Drive, Columbia, MO 65202 – (573) 614-7033
Upcoming training dates:
- April 19, 2017 – 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. at the Columbia Police Department Regional Training Center, 5001 E. Meyer Industrial Drive; Register online or by calling Officer Amy Bishop at 573-874-7426.
For further information contact:
Officer Amy Bishop
Office: (573) 874-7426
Search for Recent Arrests:
- Columbia Police Department: Coming Soon!
- Boone County Sheriffs Department – Click on 07:00 Report
- Missouri State Highway Patrol
Some helpful links:
- HUD – Federal Fair Housing information
- Landlord/Tenant Rights and Responsibilities by Missouri Attorney General and Missouri Bar Association
- Legal issues related to rental properties evictions, leases, security deposits, etc. Information provided by Scott Law Firm, a proud supporter of Crime Free Programs.
- Mid America Crime Free Inc. – A 501(c)3 to assist cities in MO, KS, IA, and NE in improving the quality of life in the housing/lodging/ storage industries.
- International Crime Free Association – More tips on Crime Free Multi Housing
- Conducting Background Checks – Accudata Credit Systems, a mid-Missouri company providing nationwide criminal and credit background checks and dedicated to Crime Free Programs.
- Boone County Missouri Sex Offender Registry – A list of registered sex offenders residing in Boone County, Missouri.
- Emergency Planning – Preparing for any emergency situation. Information prepared by U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
Helpful Information Regarding Nuisance Parties:
- Having A Party
- Nuisance Party Notification For Landlords
- Nuisance Party Notification For Tenants
- Chronic Nuisance Property Notification for Property Owners