Snow is never fun to drive in. Here’s some helpful tips in difficult situations:
If you get stranded:
- Do not leave your vehicle unless you know where you are and how long it will take you to get where you’re going.
- Attract attention with a colored cloth hanging from the antenna of the vehicle or mirror. If you have flares, place them in front and behind your vehicle.
- Make sure the exhaust pipe is clear of snow so that fumes do not go back into the cabin of the vehicle.
- Keep one window slightly open because heavy snow/ice can seal the vehicle shut.
- Eat hard candy to keep your mouth moist.
If you get stuck:
- Do not spin your tires.
- Turn your wheels side-to-side.
- Lightly touch on the gas to see if the vehicle will move at all.
- Use a shovel to remove snow away from the vehicle and tires.
- Pour kitty litter in front of the wheels to get traction.