The Animal Control division supports responsible pet ownership while helping keep animals and the public safe. Our Animal Control Officers assist the public with many services such as:
- Enforce city and county animal ordinances
- Provide Rabies and animal welfare education
- Assist with low cost or free spay and neuter options
- Investigate animal complaints
- Handle animal cruelty complaints
- Pick up sick and/or injured animals
- Free ride home for animals with microchip, City of Columbia license, or any other identification
Responsibilities Of Pet Owners
Pets need . . .
- Love and attention daily
- Food and water daily
- To be kept clean, brushed and groomed
- To be disciplined
- Shelter from rain, snow, cold and drafts
- To receive regular veterinary care
- If your pet is missing, call Animal Control at 573-449-1888 to report it missing. It is always a good idea to visit the Central Missouri Humane Society in Columbia (616 Big Bear Blvd.) to look for your pet. Click here for directions.
- Click here to view animals currently in our Shelter.
- A limited number of free spay/neuter vouchers are available to dog and cat owners who meet minimum income guidelines. Vouchers are limited to one household per year. For more information, please contact Animal Control at 573-449-1888.
Vaccines and Licenses
Animal Control Complaint
- Were you or someone you know bitten by an animal? Learn more about animal bites.
- Animal Control is open 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., 7 days a week, except on all observed City of Columbia holidays.
- Emergency After Hours Services
An Animal Control Officer is on-call after hours, on holidays and weekends for emergencies only. The following situations are considered emergencies:
- Wildlife inside the living areas of a residence (not outside or in a garage)
- Large animals running loose on a major roadway
- Sick or badly injured animals
- Vicious dogs that are currently running loose
- Report an animal bite
- Click here to view the Animal Control Service Areas.
Couldn’t find what you’re looking for? Contact us!