This program promotes neighborhood stability by making low interest loans to low-and-moderate income property owners to make necessary improvements to their homes.
Do I qualify for the program?
Homeowners are eligible to apply for the Rehabilitation program if:
- Own and live in the home that is to be rehabilitated
- Reside within the city limits of Columbia
- Meet the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) income limits (updated June 15, 2017)
- Are not currently in bankruptcy proceedings
- Have an average combined credit score not less than 600 (subject to change). Completion of
MoneySmart or other approved class may be accepted for scores lower than the required
- Are current on their mortgage and real estate taxes
- Do not have more than $50,000 in readily available resources
How does the program work?
Complete your application and return it to the Community Development Department. Your name will be added to the program’s waiting list. Complete applications will be processed in the order in which they are received.
Once city staff reach your name on the waiting list and determine that you meet the eligibility requirements, they will meet with you at your home, complete an inspection, and make a determination about the work your home needs. Bids are solicited from at least three general contractors. After bids are received, your application is taken to the City Loan and Grant Committee for approval.
What kind of improvements can I make?
- Roof replacement
- HVAC repair and replacement
- Removing Lead-based paint hazards
- Electrical and plumbing repairs
- Accessibility improvements
- Energy improvements: attic insulation, door and window replacement
How long does the process take?
City rehab staff work with up to six applicants at one time. The entire process for each round (from initial inspection to approval) takes approximately six to twelve weeks.
Enhanced Home Performance with Energy Star
All Rehab projects with potential for energy efficiency improvements will include a full energy audit and participate in the Enhanced Home Performance with Energy Star (EHPwES) program through the City of Columbia’s Water and Light Department. For more information on this program, click here. Any rebates issued through EHPwES for work funded by the Owner Occupied Rehabilitation Program will be applied directly to any outstanding loan balance.
There are certain things we cannot do. Funds cannot be used for:
- Adding living or finished space
- Exterior improvements such as fencing and landscaping
- Replacement of items determined to be in good condition by staff
Can I do the work myself?
No, you must contract with a general contractor to complete the work on your home.
What are the terms of the loan and how much can I borrow?
Maximum funding amount is $35,000.
Deferred loans may be granted to households where payments would create a hardship. (See guidelines for details.)
Participants not eligible for deferred loans will have regular monthly payments established on 50% of their loan amount at 0% interest over 15 years. The balance will be deferred at 0% interest until title transfer. Payments will not be less than $25 or more than $100 per month.
How do I obtain an application?
Click here to access the application. Applications are also available in the Community Development Department or can be mailed, upon request. Completed application must be submitted with required documents.
For more information about this program contact Community Development at 500 E. Walnut, Ste. 108 or
Telephone: 573.874.7244 (TTY: 1-800-MOR-ELAY)