The Office of Cultural Affairs provides annual funding support to the arts. By contracting with local 501(c)(3) arts organizations to provide high quality arts services and programming in the community, the OCA serves the general public, individual artists and arts agencies. The Commission on Cultural Affairs assists in the process by evaluating requests and recommending funding. The mission of Small Request funding is as follows:
The City of Columbia’s arts funding program includes year-round opportunities for arts organizations. “Small Requests” support innovative programs and services that provide unique and one-time opportunities to Columbia’s diverse populations. -adopted January 2002
NOTE: These are not grants. Allocations of city dollars represent the purchasing or contracting of services from arts organizations. As such, the reach of the Office of Cultural Affairs into the community is extended and programs of local arts organizations are enhanced with additional dollars.
- Click here to log on to Foundant online funding application
- Foundant Technologies Applicant Video tutorial
All applicants are encouraged to contact the Office of Cultural Affairs in advance of completing an application to discuss the basics of the proposed project, determine eligibility of the applicant and to check if funds are available.
UPDATE (2.14.17): The Small Request funds for FY17 have been depleted. If more funds become available, we will update this webpage and the Small Request application will be back open in Foundant.
Eligibility, Guidelines & Requirements
Applicants must either be a single not-for-profit arts agency, a collaboration of arts agencies or a collaboration of an arts agency and one or more not-for-profit agencies, which may be schools, social service agencies and public entities.
- Funds are available to arts agencies with total annual budgets of no more than $500,000. Collaborations are allowed, but only with an arts organization holding 501(c)(3) status as the lead agency.
- If a project is funded in the Office of Cultural Affairs’ annual cycle, components of it are not eligible to be considered for a Small Request.
- Proposed projects should focus on the above-listed mission statement, especially in regard to innovation and uniqueness. In general, already established projects that are held regularly will not likely be funded by the Small Request program.
- Proposed projects must occur within the Columbia city limits.
- Proposed projects must be matched dollar for dollar with cash, in-kind contributions or a combination of both. Requests cannot be for more than $750. If request is approved, 20% of total funding will be withheld until final report has been completed.
- Funding may not be used for capital improvements, for political or legislative activities or for replacement of normally budgeted funds, such as staff salaries.
- Funding is limited to one request per project. Multiple proposals from the same agency are allowed if they are for different projects.
- All requests will be reviewed subject to availability of funding. Applicants are encouraged to contact the Office of Cultural Affairs to learn the availability of funding prior to submitting application.
- Funded projects may not discriminate against any segment of the community on the basis of sex, race, age, color, religion, national origin, economic status, marital status, familial status, ancestry, disability condition or sexual orientation.
- A final report is required if the project is supported. Reports are due 45 days after the end date of the funded project.
Rolling Submission Deadline
Application deadline is rolling. Applications must be submitted through Foundant no later than two-months prior to the project’s start date (i.e. if the project begins May 15th then the application must be received by March 15th).
OCA Staff will review requests for completeness. The OCA Executive Committee will review and make funding recommendation to the full Commission. Meetings are open to the public and applicants are encouraged to attend to hear the review of the application.
P.O. Box 6015
300 S. Providence
Columbia, MO 65205